Connections UK 2018
Dates. The 2018 dates are 04 to 06 September 2018.
Location. King's College, London.
How to book a place: Tickets will be available through King's College, London. A link will be posted here when the bookings go live.
Cost: The cost of Connections UK is £60 for the Megagame/Introduction to Wargaming and £135 for the main 2 days of the Conference. Connections UK is not for profit; the cost covers food, coffee and administration,
Programme. The draft programme is as follows:
Disclaimer: While we make every effort to ensure the programme takes place as listed, many of the participants are working for Government Agencies. Occasionally higher priority work might prevent them attending - like war, natural disaster, election interference, etc. We are sorry if that happens (on so many levels).
- Day 1. Tuesday 4 September
- Introduction to wargaming for newcomers. This will be a day long course, interleaving example games and presentations.
- Megagame. This will be an all day, almost all participant, engaging and fun ice-breaker on a contemporary topic.
- Component production. An informal evening session.
- Day 2. Wednesday 5 September
- Introduction. Relating the conference to the MOD Wargaming Handbook.
- Dilemmas and Trade-Offs in wargame design.
- Serious wargame design.
- Design factors and choices.
- Game mechanics and processes.
- Play-testing and Test Exercises.
- Scenario development.
- A Look Forward to Execution.
- Games Fair session 1.
- Keynote address. Volko Ruhnke and Brian Train. Award winning authors of the acclaimed COIN Series of games.
- Games Fair session 2.
- Day 3. Thursday 6 September
- Wargaming uses.
- Wargaming Case Study.
- Automation - break out and demonstrations.
- Analysing wargames.
- Data capture.
- Lessons identified from the analysis of the 2017 Dire Straits megagame.
- Validating wargames.
- Applying wargaming lessons identified to the real world.
- Making wargames better.
- Sharing best practice.
- Facilitation. A hands-on learning experience.