Connections UK 2017
Programme and Speaker Bios. The final programme and consolidated speaker bios are available here
BBC Report. For a short article about the Megagame on Day One of the conference: Please click here.
Conference Report. The PAXsims Blog about the conference is here, and the Wargaming Miscellany Blog report is here , here and here.
Podcast. The KCL Podcast about the conference is here.
Day 1. Tuesday 5 September 2017: Wargaming 101 and Dire Straits Megagame.
Wargaming 101. A presentation for newcomers complemented by the on-line reading pack.
Megagame. DIRE STRAITS: A megagame designed by Jim Wallman and Rex Brynen to explore a potential crisis involving China, Taiwan, and beyond.
- Player Handbook. The Player Handbook, which should give you a flavour of the overall game.
- Introduction. The Introductory Video provided before the game start.
- Game Report. You will find a comprehensive game report at the PAXsims blog from one of the designers.
- Game Twitter Stream The Press Team did a fantastic job - you can follow the events on the Twitter Stream here.
- Immediate AAR. Click here for the immediate post-game comments by the designers: (Audio).
- Post-Game Analysis. This will follow from the Analytical Team at a later date.
Day 2. Wednesday 6 September 2017.
- Plenary 1. UK military Tri-Service wargaming.
- Plenary 2. US and UK military and Foreign & Commonwealth Office wargaming initiatives.
- Keynote Speaker. As is customary for Senior Officers, remarks were under "Chatham House Rules" and there are no slides or audio.
- Plenary 3. Broader perspectives on wargaming.
- Games Fair. The rest of the day was taken up with the Games Fair allowing participants to experience a number of games intended for a professional audience, for Training, Education or Professional Development. The descriptions of the games and reports are contained here.
Day 3. Thursday 7 September 2017.
- Plenary 4. Wargaming in Education.
- Plenary 5. Wargaming the Intangible: Human Terrain, Matrix and Seminar Games.
- Plenary 6. Wargame Design and Analysis: Megagaming, Swedish Wargaming and Missile Defence Wargaming.
- Breakout Workshop: 'Skinning the Cat'. Wargaming issues in the High North.