Connections UK 2015.
The programme is available here. We extended the previous 2.5 day conference to a full 3 days. We have also listened to your feedback and included significant time for networking, hands-on wargaming and design sessions. We retained the separate costs for Day 1 (Wargaming 101 and 102) and Days 2-3 for those who could only make the 'main' days.
A report from the PaxSims Blog about the conference is here.
A report in Military Simulation and Training Magazine (MS&T) about the conference is here.
A list of the Consolidated Speaker Biographies is here.
Cost:    The cost was £60 for the first day (Wargaming 101 and 102) and the second two days was £125 inclusive of both days.
Day 1.   Wargaming 101 and 102. Sessions both to introduce wargaming for newcomers and then to look at more advanced topics for designers and practitioners. The day includes:
- Pre-Reading: Pre-Reading Pack
- The Aim and Purpose of a Wargame: Tom Mouat: Slide Pack, Audio MP3
- Designing a Wargame to meet a Requirement: Jim Wallman: Slide Pack, Audio MP3
- How to Analyse Wargames: Dr. Stephen Downes-Martin: Slide Pack, Audio MP3
- Using Data in Wargames: DSTL: Slide Pack, Audio MP3
- Participation Game: Briefing Slide Pack, PowerPoint Map, Cards, Cards, Cards, Cards, Control Pack, One Page Summary
- After Action Review: After Action Review, Game Turns, Audio MP3,
- Advanced sessions:
- Fully Engaging the Player: Graham Longley-Brown: Slide Pack
- Drawing Insights from Wargames: Jim Wallman:
- Wargaming Effects and Influence: Tom Mouat: Slide Pack, Audio MP3
- Open Panel Discussion.
Day 2.   A Games Fair and Keynote Speaker.
- Opening Remarks: Slide Pack for Graham's remarks, AudioMP3
- Plenary: Global Wargaming Developments.
- Games Fair: introduction to games and stands. Attendees sign up to participate in two games.
- Plenary: UK Wargaming Developments.
- Games Fair Session 1 (Details in the Programme).
- Keynote Speaker: Dr Ed McGrady: Slide Pack, Audio MP3, Video (You Tube)
Dr. McGrady, of the Center for Naval Analyses, holds a PhD in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan. He develops games and conducts studies on a wide range of topics from force structure and planning, to operational deployment of medical forces and the analytic reconstruction of real-world operations. He has deployed as an analyst with U.S. forces in combat and counternarcotics operations.
- Games Fair Session 2 (Details in the Programme).
Day 3. Best Practice and Innovation.
- Plenary: Wargaming Best Practice.
- Plenary: Synergies between Hobby and Professional Wargaming.
- Breakout Session: Wargaming for Innovation ("Skinning the Cat"): Slide Pack (with results), Introduction Audio MP3
- The Ukraine.
- An Election.
- Terror attacks on Schools. Slide Pack
- Refugee Crisis (Calais, Mediterranean, etc).
- City Fight (Coastal or Inland).
- National Power Cut.
- Influence Activities & Operations.
- Mercenaries and their Masters (PMCs).
- Drone Wars (Drone / UV / Autonomous).
- Breakout into 3 teams to come up with solutions to wargaming 3 of the 9 topics above.
- Backbrief Solutions. Audio MP3
- Closing remarks. Audio MP3